The health system offers various leave programs to eligible employees who may need time away from work because of certain life events. Employees are encouraged to consider a leave of absence when time away from work is needed to deal with serious medical conditions (your own or a family member), pregnancy, personal needs, domestic violence, military leave or educational leave.
Employees who need time away from work for bereavement, to vote in official elections, to complete jury duty or for lactation needs must contact their manager directly to schedule an appropriate leave from work. Employees may be eligible for additional leaves allowed under state or local laws, based on the employee’s primary worksite.
Employees who are temporarily or permanently disabled or have restrictions that make it difficult for them to perform the essential functions of their job should contact the health system’s Leave Team (LeaveandDisability@kumc.edu) to talk about their needs.
The Leave Team will work closely with the employee and their manager to determine if a reasonable workplace accommodation can be offered.
How to make a request
The health system partners with The Hartford to administer many of our leave programs. Here are three tips to make your leave of absence request easier:
1. Know when to make your request.
- If your absence is scheduled, such as an upcoming hospital stay, please call The Hartford 30 days prior to your last day of work.
- If your absence is unscheduled, please call The Hartford as soon as possible.
2. Know what info to include in your request.
- Name, address and other key identification information.
- Name of your department and last full day of active work.
- The nature of your claim or leave request.
- Your treating physician’s name, address, phone and fax numbers.
3. Call The Hartford.
- With your information handy, call The Hartford at 866-315-0809 and reference policy 675446.
- Hartford representatives are available Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.–7 p.m. CT to take your information, answer your questions and begin processing your request.
For general questions, contact the HR Support Center at 913-945-6500 or AskHR@kumc.edu.